At Holy Spirit, we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) Phonics Programme to get children in EYFS and Key Stage 1, off to a flying start with their language, reading and writing skills. RWI is a method of learning centred around letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing. Each member of staff has received extensive Ruth Miskin Training, rated outstanding by Ofsted, to ensure consistent practice across the whole school.
For further information on Read, Write Inc, please watch this helpful tutorial.
When using RWI to read the children will:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- Learn to read words using Fred Talk
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- Show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
Please watch Sylvie to help your child use the correct pronunciation of sets 1, 2 and 3 sounds.
When using RWI to write the children will:
- Learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- Learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- Write simple sentences
Please watch this video to help your child use the correct handwriting formation of the letters.
We have included some support materials, to help you help your child at home. Please click on the links below or if you have any problems downloading these files or would like a paper copy, please do not hesitate to contact our school office
If you require any further information about the programme, the Read, Write, Inc website has a wealth of information to support parents and carers. Alternatively please feel free to contact our English Lead, Miss Skelton, via the school office, who will be more than happy to help you.