The Read Write Inc (RWI) Spelling Programme follows on from the RWI Phonics Programme with the aim of getting every child to spell effortlessly. It is a stand-alone programme for children in Year 2 to Year 6 and has been specially created to meet the demands of the National Curriculum. Each member of staff has received extensive Ruth Miskin Training, rated outstanding by Ofsted, to ensure consistent practice across the whole school.
What is RWI Spelling?
RWI Spelling embeds impressive skills quickly and effectively filling the gaps in children’s knowledge. To keep children engaged, aliens introduce spelling rules on an exciting online spelling planet and children complete quick-fire activities in their spelling logs. Progress is accurately recorded using practice tests and teachers learn how to move children on quickly.
For further information please watch this helpful tutorial.
How does RWI Spelling work?
RWI Spelling is a daily 15 minute interactive programme which uses a variety of resources and activities to engage and to enthuse the children in their learning. It helps children to learn spellings with common patterns and uses rules in order to help them recall spellings as well as teaching exceptions to these rules. Individual workbooks allow children to practise their spellings and the teaching naturally follows on from the Spell Review part of the RWI Phonics Programme. Log books give children ownership of their spellings and allow for further consolidation.
- Session 1 introduces the children to the new spelling pattern for the week using a video which takes the children to the ‘Spelling Zone’.
- Session 2 engages the children in a quick recap of the previous learning and then the children complete in a word changing activity.
- Session 3 focuses the children on identifying words they need to learn and writing them in their log books in order for them to practise throughout the week.
- Session 4 encourages the children to work in pairs to peer assess each other's work, focusing on choosing a correct word from a given set in order to complete a sentence.
- Session 5 allows the children time to unpick a choice of difficult words and an opportunity to spell them correctly.
How can you support your child with RWI Spelling at home?
We have included some support materials, to help you help your child at home. Please click on the links below or if you have any problems downloading these files or would like a paper copy, please do not hesitate to contact the school office.
You will also find a wealth of RWI Spelling information on the internet.
- Visit the parent pages on the Ruth Miskin Training website.
- Sign up to the Ruth Miskin Training newsletter.
- Access free e-books for home reading at the Oxford Owl Website.
- Follow them on Facebook and Twitter.
- Visit the Read Write Inc. website.
If you require any further information about the programme, please feel free to contact our English Lead, Miss Skelton, via the school office, who will be more than happy to help you.